Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Predators of the Serengeti

The Oregon Zoo finally opened it's newest exhibit, after a long remodel, and it was well worth the wait! It's called the Predators of the Serengeti. The kids loved the new animals: lions (1 male and 2 female, I think), cheetahs and African "painted" dogs. We also got a great view of some of the other animals in our visit- it's always hit and miss whether or not the animals will be out to see...

"Mommy, please take a picture of the monkey!"
Alright...

One of the zebras getting a good scratch from the tree...

Hippo keepin' cool in the water...

One of the new lions (or is it lioness?)... the male lion was being lazy somewhere in the shade, as it was quite hot out... typical :)

They're hard to see, but the "painted" dogs are walking along the back of the photo... I saw on the news that they travel in packs and these three always walk in the same order, with the alpha male in front- something I totally learned about by reading the Twilight Saga.

The cheetah got right up next to the glass in front of Tyson, as did the lion... he loved it!

And the other cheetah...

A little dress-up

And the cool new statues...

Now if they'd just finish construction on the new monkey stuff, we'll have a kick-butt zoo again! I think the kids would go to the zoo every single day if we let them- with the same enthusiasm every time. I love it!

3 comments:

Heidi D said...

LOVE the zoo. LOVE!! My favorite has always been the hippo tank. I love their short little legs.

Nice picture post. Your kids are really cute and lucky to have a zoo so close. :)

Lisa said...

I think you already have a kick-butt zoo, particularly compared to this excuse for one in Atlanta.

The Manlupig Family said...

good to know! I'm thinking I want to brave it one of these days.. with help of course but still! I love the zoo... I usually take my kids once or twice a month.. it is a nice way to get out of the house & just hang out till lunch come home for nap! :)