Thursday, February 25, 2010

A desk of my very own

I'm 2 weeks into my second student teaching placement and having a great time so far! Fifth grade is certainly different from first grade, but I've been spending the last 8 days getting to know the student and the routine of the classroom and I'm feeling a bit more comfortable now. One HUGE difference I'm noticing between 1st and 5th grade- I'm actually going to have to teach MYSELF some of the curriculum first before I can attempt to teach it to the students! 1st grade stuff was much easier to just look at and teaching, being a little more basic. :) Next week I'm teaching a science unit on magnetism and I'll be brushing up on that this weekend...

My cooperating teacher is amazing and I'm already learning so much from watching her teach and interact with the students. The big test will be next week when I begin teaching a few lessons and start fazing-in for my five weeks of solo teaching in late March and into April. I've decided on a work sample subject, a health unit on nutrition, something I'm actually interested in and looking forward to teaching- unlike the Balls and Ramps Science Unit I just completed for my other placement.

I'll be preparing (mostly alone, but sometimes along side my cooperating teacher) all of the lessons during my solo time, but the work sample is what I'll actually fully develop and be graded on in order to obtain my degree and teaching certification. I still can't believe how close it is... When I came to my parents 11 years ago and told them I wanted to quit going to school for a while (after getting my AA) and try being a flight attendant, I don't think any of us thought I would go back and actually finish- especially me! My sister Robyn will always hold the honor of being first in our family to obtain a Bachelor's degree, I was about 5 months behind her, but am still in shock that I will also have a Master's degree in just over 3 month. Crazy.

Anyways, I've been sharing a little bit about myself with the class each morning, things like working for Southwest, completing a marathon last year and training for another, and a little about my family, so today I brought in pictures...

... the pictures found a great little home...

... on the side of my new desk!

It seems like a small thing, to have a desk of my own, but I really appreciate having my own space to leave things behind in the classroom and sit at to do planning. The classroom I'm in is fairly small and there are 33- yes 33- desks and students in the room already, so we weren't sure if there was room for a desk for me. My cooperating teacher was great about moving things around and making it happen, which really made me feel welcome and at home in the room. I really appreciate the effort she has made towards helping me feel like a part of the class.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the next few months unfold and how much I grow as a person and future teacher as a result of this experience. Hopefully I'll find time between all the craziness to post a little more about my journey along the way!


4 comments:

Heidi D said...

You're going to be a great teacher. :O) Mind you, this is coming from someone who doesn't generally like teachers. I'm very critical. I was just born that way I guess. I had an opinion about teachers starting the first day of Kindergarten. Good ones are hard to find.

I can tell though, you'll be awesome.

MSB said...

I am glad that you are enjoying your student teaching time. I love hearing your stories and thinking back on my student teaching and time teaching...I miss it so much.

Alaskiana said...

Congratulations!! So glad it's going so well. I love your desk corner!!

Brianna said...

Yay desk! :) I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'll bet the kids enjoy you too, I think you'll make a fantastic teacher.