Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Personal goals

As many of you know, I have been attending college for a while now and I'm scheduled to graduate with my degree in Human Development on May 10th. For the first time since I began the program at Warner Pacific College, I actually feel like I'm going to finish! I'm halfway done with my second to last class and begin my last class in April, which is only a two weekend elective. I'm also slated to start my Master's Degree in July, also through the Warner Pacific Adult Degree Program. It will follow the same format as the Bachelor's program, classes one night a week for four hours, with each class lasting 5 weeks. The student teaching part would begin in the Fall of 2009.

For the class I'm taking now, Adult Development, the instructor asked us to make measurable personal goals for the five week class. I chose two: to drink at least 64 oz. of water a day and do at least 30 mins. of physical activity a day. I've been doing really well so far, only missing my workout yesterday, so I'm planning on two 30 minute walks today to make up for it. It's amazing how much better I feel already- I love the fresh air and I also do some of my best thinking while I'm out running. This morning I even took the kids mall walking because of the rainy/cold weather in order to get one of my workouts in.

My new best friend has become the iPod Nano I received for Christmas, along with the adapter to go with the Nike+ shoes I already had. It's amazing! There is a little chip that goes into your Nike+ shoes and then as you run or walk with the Nano on, it records your workout times, distance, and approximate calories burned. Then you can sync it to your computer on Nike.com and it keeps track of your entire workout history! On Saturday, I ran a little over 5 1/2 miles and Lance Armstrong himself (well his voice anyway) came onto my iPod and congratulated me on my longest workout to date with the Nano! Hooray for me! It has been a great motivator for me to get active and actually see my progress and results. I love, love, love it!

The Thames household has also been battling a nasty cold- going through 2-3 small boxes of Kleenex a day! I just hope we are all healthy in time to enjoy Rick's spring break in a couple of weeks!

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Hey Brooke, I am really digging the hair and I know how you feel about the workouts and stuff. I have been working out 3-4 days a week and have been feeling great. Good for you and congrats on getting ever so close to graduation! Give those cute kids of yours a big hug for me.
Maggie