Thursday, June 4, 2009

One time I am happy to be wrong!

Alright, I totally miscalculated the weeks to go until the Portland Marathon, there are 18 weeks to go rather than 16 weeks. I was on the Portland Marathon website today and their suggested 18 week training schedule started on June 1st, what I thought was 16 weeks out and I'm really happy to be wrong about it! I've been worried about whether or not I would be ready enough for the rigorous (okay, it's rigorous for me) training and this gives me a extra couple of weeks under my belt. I don't want to be crawling across the finish line or injure myself, which is why I'm taking the training pretty seriously. I've committed to my goal and I will do all I can to stick with it.

On my sidebar, I will update the training miles each week to help keep me accountable. The only problem I may run into some weeks is the long run being scheduled for Saturdays. I typically work Saturdays, but I'll work it out, possibly having to do a few of the long runs on Sunday instead. I've decided to stick with the 16 week training schedule I found on marathonrookie.com, just repeat the first week three times and then pick it up again on after that. So, weeks 1-3 will be exactly the same and then I will increase my mileage each week after, following the training suggestions. I'm happy Rick will be home all summer, giving me more flexibility in when I can run... Monday I did a 5:30am run and it was wonderful, tough to get out of bed, but great once I got going. Yesterday, I was lazy and slept in, leaving my 4 mile run for the evening... NOT a good idea in the hot weather we've been having. I will be planning a little better in the future!

Wish me luck... and if anyone is interested in training "along" with me and running the Portland Marathon too, let me know! I would LOVE to have a few familiar faces in the crowd of many on that cool Sunday morning in October! :)

I got the following quote from marathonrookie.com... seems to apply perfectly to this sort of thing!

"Now, if you are going to win any battle, you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But, the body is never tired if the mind is not tired." - George S. Patton, U.S. Army General and 1912 Olympian

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I didn't know Patton was an Olympian.
and
Yay for 2 extra weeks!